Wednesday 27 February 2013

Review: Missing Me by Sophie Mckenzie

Six years have passed since the end of Sister, Missing and Madison is now a teenager. During a visit to her older sister Lauren, Madison learns that their biological father was an anonymous sperm donor and sets out to track him down. Her search bears fruit sooner than she expects, but is the father she discovers all he seems? As Madison gets drawn into a mysterious investigation involving missing girls and secret hideaways, she finds herself in more and more danger. A tense and thrilling end to the bestselling series, not to be missed!


I read Girl, Missing some time ago and liked it, but I was surprised when I saw a sequel had come out - I thought it was fine as a stand alone book.  I didn't like Sister, Missing as much and I did not have high expectations of Missing Me, but I decided to read it anyway.

I felt that this book didn't have much to do with the plot of the other two - if I remember rightly, a character or two from Girl, Missing was bought back in Sister, Missing, at least relating it a bit to the first one - Missing Me seemed more like a book written to show what happened to the characters after a series ended, rather than the ending (?) of one.

The plot wasn't exactly different from the others either.  As before, the main character finds out something unexpected about her past, goes to investigate it, realises things aren't what they seem and finally everyone ends up getting kidnapped and they (very luckily) escape.  I could predict a lot of what was going to happen, and it was pretty much the exact basic plot of the other books.  The characters are also extremely lucky and a lot of things seemed to be a very convenient coincidence.

There was quite a large time gap in between Sister, Missing and Missing Me, and the main characters have all changed a lot.  There were some new characters (such as Esme and Wolf) who feature a lot but I didn't think they were particularly original - I have seen similar characters a lot before.

I *did* get a bit gripped by this book and it was fast paced.  I didn't take long to read it.  I don't think this book is BAD, just rather unoriginal.  Some more relation to the other books would have been nice too.

2 stars - 'it was ok'.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, there's a sequel? I remember reading Girl, Missing ages ago too, but I'm not sure if I'm interested in more. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete