Thursday 26 July 2012

Review: The Third Day, The Frost by John Marsden

Life in the war zone enters its sixth month of heart-stopping tension in the latest installment of the internationally bestselling Tomorrow series.

In the third installment of the Tomorrow saga, the anything-to-survive existence of Ellie and her friends has sharpened their senses and emboldened their plans. They aren't merely on the defensive anymore; they're also striking back. Their strategy? Attack the enemy not just on land, but also on water. If they have any hope of sabotaging the formidable container ship at Cobbler's Bay, then stealth is a must, but so, too, is one very big explosion.
And if they fail, they may face a whole new kind of terror -- imprisonment.


As I wasn't a fan of the first two books in the series, I was sure I wouldn't like this one much.  However, I was actually wrong!  I liked this book a lot more than the others.  I felt more happened in this book - there wasn't so many long parts where the characters just talked, and the talking parts were shorter and more interesting.  The characters seemed to have a better idea of what they were goig to do during the book, rather than sit around wondering if they were going to be found or captured.

This book was definately a whole lot more tense than the others, and I really got an idea of how the characters, especially Ellie, were feeling at differant times.  Mostly because of this I felt that we get to know them all a bit better, and while before the amount of main characters was slightly confusing it was easy to tell who was who as we know their personalities better now.

Although I liked this book, I wasn't really pulled in by it - if I had another book sitting next to it, I was more likely to pick up that one.  But when I was actually reading it, I was quite gripped.

There wasn't any romance, which I thought was good as I think it can distract from the main story!  As I have said before I'm not really into romance, especially in action and adventure books like this, so it could just be me.

Overall I enjoyed this a LOT more than the first two in the series.  I don't think I will carry on with the series - I am wondering what will happen after the unexpected ending, but it wasn't a cliffhanger enough for me to be desperate to carry on.  I think a cliffhanger ending would have been great considering I was getting into the series a bit more and would have made it even more exciting, but I was fine with how it ended anyway.

I am really not sure how to rate this book!  I feel a 3.5 would be too low, but a 4 too high.  So I'm not going to rate it.

Thank you to Chicklish for sending me this book!

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant review! I've also read a series in which the latest books were the best as they had more action and tension! It's a shame you didn't quite love this!

    So is it a 3.75 rating, hehe? ;)

    ReplyDelete