Thursday 15 November 2012

Review: TimeRiders by Alex Scarrow


Liam O’Connor should have died at sea in 1912.
Maddy Carter should have died on a plane in 2010.
Sal Vikram should have died in a fire in 2026.

Yet moments before death, someone mysteriously appeared and said, ‘Take my hand ...’

But Liam, Maddy and Sal aren’t rescued. They are recruited by an agency that no one knows exists, with only one purpose—to fix broken history. Because time travel is here, and there are those who would go back in time and change the past. That’s why the TimeRiders exist: to protect us. To stop time travel from destroying the world...



I have been wanting to read TimeRiders for a while now, but have always put it off.  I'm so glad I eventually did read it though!  I didn't think it was going to be as good as it was.

I haven't read that many books about time travel, and the ones I have have not been believable to me at all.  However, I thought this book's idea of time travel to be a lot more believable, thanks to well thought out (but short, so not making it confusing or boring!) explanations.

I loved the beginning to this book.  It was immediately exciting and mysterious, and really pulled me into the book!  The descriptions of what happened to the present day world when something in the past changed were great.  I could almost feel confused and shocked along with the characters as everything suddenly changed.

It wasn't just the changed present day world descriptions that were great - I could easily picture all of the settings and characters in my head, which really helps me to get into a book.  TimeRiders was exciting and gripping throughout the book, especially when the Maddy, Sal and Foster were faced with a **SPOILER - HIGHLIGHT TO READ!**  post apocalyptic world **SPOILER OVER** and Liam was faced with **SPOILER** being stuck in the past**SPOILER OVER**.

Overall I really enjoyed TimeRiders.  I have two small complaints - it was sometimes a bit confusing when the point of view swapped quickly between characters, and some words Sal uses I didn't know.  Unless I'm just stupid and don't know them, I think there should have been an explanation.

Rating: 4.5/5

1 comment: