Tuesday 23 July 2013

Review: Fractured by Teri Terry


How do you know where to go when you don't remember where you came from?

Kyla's memory has been erased,
her personality wiped blank,
her memories lost for ever.

Or so she thought.

Kyla shouldn't be able to remember anything. But she can - and she's beginning to realise that there are a lot of dark secrets locked away in her memories. When a mysterious man from her past comes back into her life, she thinks she's on her way to finding the truth. But the more she learns about her history, the more confusing her future becomes...

Set in a disturbing future world, FRACTURED is an engrossing, fast-paced read that establishes Teri Terry as a master thriller writer




I loved this sequel to Slated.  The world it's set in is so interesting, and so is the character of Kyla.  I felt kind of indifferent to her in Slated, but really liked her in Fractured.

I found the plot was even better than in Slated - what happened to Ben, disappearing people and other Slateds added extra mystery to the already great plot.  I just hope all these get solved in the next book.  I like how it expanded more on both the Lorders and Free UK/terrorists and just gave a lot more backstory in general.  Also, I found it quite hard to guess who Kyla would choose who to side with in the end, if anyone - I won't say any more though as I don't want to spoil it!

Kyla's character is so well done.  It must be extremely difficult to write one character with 2, almost 3 different personalities, but Teri Terry has done it really well and it's never confusing.  I'm glad she found out the complete truth about some of her past.

The other characters were awesome too.  I wasn't too convinced about Cam, but the others I loved.  I'd happily have a book full of all their backstories :D.

There was one small problem I had though.  In Slated, Phoebe disappears but then Kyla sees her Slated.  She's never mentioned in Fractured, and I would have liked to see what happened to her in the end.

Overall an amazing sequel.  This kind of dystopian is more believable and realistic than others I have read.  A great story and characters!

1 comment: