Monday 22 July 2013

Review: Metawars: Battle of the Immortal by Jeff Norton


The dead have risen and now it's war between the living and the dead in this thrilling third instalment in the epic MetaWars saga.



Jonah Delacroix is on a mission to free the Metasphere virtual world, but hordes of Uploaded (the digital immortals) have escaped the Metasphere and taken over the bodies of living people - 'Reborn' in the real world. 

When Jonah's best friend, Sam, is usurped by a digital Uploaded, he finds himself on the opposite side of his dead father in a savage battle of the immortal.



POSSIBLY CONTAINS SERIES SPOILERS!!



The Metawars series is one of my favourites.  I started the first book not expecting it to be as good as I found it.  I love the world, the technology, and characters, and I've loved all the books in the series.

This is the third book in the series.  While I still loved it, I *did* prefer the other two in the series - but I still enjoyed it.  One thing I think this series does very well is how, unlike many other books I've read, there isn't a clear 'good' and 'evil' side.  Each side does things that could be considered good or bad depending on someone's opinion, and (especially in the first book) it's clear Jonah still hasn't decided who he agrees with the most.  I loved this part of the series - it makes it more complex and interesting to read.

As the book carries on the plot of the second book, I thought it was great how the point of view of the Uploaded was shown more.  I liked how the addition of more Uploaded characters and their views - it was a good idea to include what they thought of what was going on.

One thing I love about this series is the awesome technology used.  It's futuristic, but the amount of detail put into the Metasphere makes it feel a lot more realistic and more likely to be something that could happen in real life.

The plot carries on from the previous books.  It is good, but without the characters and other things I have mentioned in this review it wouldn't have been as good as it is.

I like the character development throughout the series, especially for Jonah.  I like the characters in general, they all feel like real people and there's no 'perfect' characters which is something that annoys me in books.

Overall I loved this book, but I did slightly prefer the other ones.  This series really should be a LOT more popular!

1 comment: