Monday 18 June 2012

Review: The Dead of the Night by John Marsden


When their country is invaded and their families are taken, eight high school teenagers band together to fight. Seventeen-year-old Ellie and her friends have survived the invasion, but two of their band are captured: Kevin is imprisoned and Corrie is alive, but in a coma. Homer and Ellie are determined to get them back and to continue their campaign against the enemy. They discover that there are other rebels out there, fighting the invaders - but who are they and can they be trusted? As the pressure grows, can Ellie work out her conflicted feelings for the brilliant, arrogant Homer and the strong, gentle Lee? As war rages, and the enemy closes in, Ellie and her friends must once again fight for their lives... but how many of their band will be left? A truly involving story about teenagers facing the incredible challenges of warfare, amid the intensity of first love. Would you sacrifice everything to save your country and your family?
This review contains referances from my review on the first book:  http://thebookreviewlibrary.blogspot.com/2012/06/review-tomorrow-when-war-began-by-john.html

I have to say, after being a bit dissapointed with the first book, I wasn't expecting this to be any better.  When I started the book, I was glad to find that the start wasn't nearly as slow, even being a bit tense in some parts as the characters sneaked around the enemy solidiers.

There were more exciting parts in this compared to the other book, but I still found it slow paced and lacking in the action I was expecting.  As with the first book, plenty of the story was spend describing the characters gathering supplies, setting up camp and talking, which is probably quite realistic but not particularly interesting to read about - in fact I found myself skipping through boring parts.

We STILL don't find out more about the war - who are the invaders?  Why are theey invading?  Where are the 'friendly' soldiers? When the main characters join a military camp, I expected these questions to be answered - but it turned out the camp had no clue what they were doing and seemed a bit of a pointless part of the story, apart from providing some action.

There were lots of characters, which made the book get confusing after a while.  Some of them I didn't see any introduction for, and just suddenly appeared.

I think there were one or two 'innapropriate' parts in the books, which I skipped through or were in the parts I skipped as they were boring - but I don't think they were nesscerary at all.

This had a bit more action and wasn't so slow, but overall it was still rather boring at times.  The series definately has a good idea, though.

Rating: 3/5

1 comment: