Tuesday 26 June 2012

Review: The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore

I've seen him on the news. Followed the stories about what happened in Ohio. John Smith, out there, on the run. To the world, he's a mystery. But to me . . . he's one of us.

Nine of us came here, but sometimes I wonder if time has changed us—if we all still believe in our mission. How can I know? There are six of us left. We're hiding, blending in, avoiding contact with one another . . . but our Legacies are developing, and soon we'll be equipped to fight. Is John Number Four, and is his appearance the sign I've been waiting for? And what about Number Five and Six? Could one of them be the raven-haired girl with the stormy eyes from my dreams? The girl with powers that are beyond anything I could ever imagine? The girl who may be strong enough to bring the six of us together?

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They tried to catch Number Four in Ohio—and failed.

I am Number Seven. One of six still alive.

And I'm ready to fight.


I really wanted to read this after finishing the first book, I Am Number Four.  I saw some bad reviews on Goodreads for this though, so I really wasn't sure whether I would enjoy it as much as the first one.

I was wrong!  It was just as good as I Am Number Four.  In this book, we see events from two differant points of view - from John/Four's and also from Marina/Seven's.  The characters haven't met each other, so I expected them to meet at the end - I'm not going to say if they did or not, but the ending definately left the story open for a third book.

There was a lot more action in the book, which was one of the problem I had with the first.  It was exciting and tense, and when I was reading I couldn't put the book down!  I usually dislike books written in first person and in the present tense (I don't know why, they just seem to be a bit blunt...), but I didn't find this one like that at all.

One thing I like about the characters is that they all seem like real people, even though a few of them have powers and are from a differant planet.  I think the characters really helped the books to be so good!  I have to say I did wonder about Number Five - we've met Four, Six and Seven, why not Five? o.0

The ending was pretty unexpected, and a bit of a cliffhanger.  I can't wait for the third book.

Overall I loved this, and I was quite gripped by it.  Although it is an alien book, it's made more believable by the fact it's set in present day and on Earth, rather than in the future or on a differant planet.  Sometimes I don't like unrealistic books in this kind of setting, but it definately worked for this.

Rating: 4.5/5

2 comments:

  1. Great topics excellent material nice info and more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book as well, I am reading Revenge of Seven at the moment and I can't wait for the last book of the series to come out! It is such an action packed series and is really fast paced so I never got bored! I hope he can write more books like this in the near future :)
    BTW I love your blog, I would love to do a similar thing but I don't think I would ever have the time to write reveiws or even read the books. Your blog is really helpful! :)

    ReplyDelete