Wednesday 30 May 2012

Review: Slated by Teri Terry

Kyla's memory has been erased,
her personality wiped blank,
her memories lost for ever.

She's been Slated.

The government claims she was a terrorist,
and that they are giving her a second chance -
as long as she plays by their rules.
But echoes of the past whisper in Kyla's mind.
Someone is lying to her, and nothing is as it seems.
Who can she trust in her search for the truth?


I had no idea what this was going to be like!  I don't think I have read anything like this and I haven't heard of the author before, but I saw some good reviews so I decided to try it!

As soon as I started the book I was gripped by it.  The whole book made me want to carry on reading, find out what was going to happen to the characters, discover what happened at the end.  Some parts of the book were very unexpected, which defiately made it hard to put the book down!  I also liked how it was set in the future, but it wasn't hugely futuristic and made the more unrealistic parts of the story fit well, and I liked how the author gave a good idea of WHEN in the future the book is, unlike other dystopian books I have read.  The world the characters live in reminded me of the Hunger Games - I personally am not a THG fan but I think that would appeal to fans.

Parts of when Kyla is trying to find out about her past reminded me of Girl, Missing by Sophie Mckenzie!  Readers who enjoyed that book might like this, too. 

I was expecting ore exciting bits in this story, but instead it was a bit mysterious, which kept it interesting!

However one thing I did not like was the writing style.  I'm not a huge fan of present tense books, and I felt parts of this seemed a bit dull or blunt.  I didn't really have a favourite character and I didn't feel like I got to know the main character, which I think might have something to do with the style.  It didn't really interfere with the book though and after a few chapters I didn't notice it as much, and I know lots of books are written like this at the moment.

I also didn't like the ending much.  While I was reading, I was thinking 'I can't wait to get to the end so I know what happened to this character' but Kyla doesn't find out about hardly anything she was wondering about throughout the book, and I think if these things are continued for some time in the sequel it will feel a little like the story is dragging on and needs something new.  Kyla doesn't even find out a large amont about what happened to her in the past. If the book didn't have extra character dissapearances I think the ending would be better, but I felt a bit annoyed at how I didn't find out what happened. 

I did enjoy this book a lot and I was completly gripped by it, and it had a pretty original idea!  As I said it reminded me of some other books, if you liked them you might like this :).

Rating: 4/5

1 comment: